Written on August 14, 2008
Today I'm sharing with you a great site reviewed by Clickschooling. Thank-you Diane for your permission to post this here for our math lovers. Check out her site for an archive of other site reviews for homeschooling or afterschooling.
Recommended Website: Scotto's Place: Fun With Olympics
Age Range: 6-10 (approximately)
This website is provided by Scott Weberg, a Christian homeschool dad who works in software development. He and his wife homeschool their four children. He creates resources for them to use, and posts them to his website to help other homeschoolers. He has developed a Summer Olympics curriculum that you can access for free.
Note: Scotto's Summer Olympic curriculum does not contain religious content and is suitable for people of all faiths and beliefs.
When you get to the site you'll see a brief introduction and a menu of subjects that include:
- *Olympic Medal Math - Get Olympic-themed word problems and math worksheets (in pdf files) that cover addition, subtraction, and multiplication.
- *Olympic Geography - Print out maps and have the kids locate cities that have hosted the Olympics and identify medal-contending countries.
- *Fun Olympic Puzzles - Develop language arts with an Olympic word scramble.
- *Medal Charts by Continent and Country - Enhance your social studies curriculum by having your kids keep track of the medal-winning countries with these handy, printable worksheets!
- *Other Suggested Activities - Get ideas for making your own Olympic medal, mascot, collage, flag, and poster.
This is an ingenious way to incorporate current events into learning every subject. Enjoy!
Written by Diane Flynn Keith for Clickschooling Copyright 2008, All Rights Reserved